Skip to Main Content

Conducting Shooting on Private Land

Troops, crews, ships and districts who want to conduct shooting sports off council property must have the property inspected by the council’s NRA Chief Range Safety Officer to determine if a public or private land is suitable for use as a shooting sports range.

Lost Pines Scout Reservation (LPSR) is still the recommended choice for shooting sports programs, however, this procedure provides flexibility to those troops, and crews that are a long distance from a council camp.

This applies to:

District and council activities and programs
NOTE: Cub Scout BB gun ranges are NOT part of this procedure.

Prior to the  Council Chief Range Safety Officer inspection, the NRA Range Safety Officer for the event must first evaluate the property to ensure that the meets all guidelines set forth in the Boy Scouts National Shooting Sports Manual and/or the NRA Range Source Book.

The following documents must be attached to this submission form before approval can be considered:

Copy of the range standard operating procedures Click Here to download a model SOP.
Permission to Enter Upon and Use Land form, completed by the property owner(s), stating that they understand the liability they are undertaking by allowing the use of their property by the BSA.
Map or drawing of land which includes the specific location of ranges, width and length of the ranges, number of shooters and shooting direction.
A copy of the certification for each person supervising the range (must meet BSA requirements)
Requests should be submitted at least two months before the event. For questions, contact Bill Agnell, Chief Range Safety Officer at: