Skip to Main Content


Camping Adventures

Organized camping is a creative, educational experience in cooperative group living in the outdoors. It uses the natural surroundings to contribute significantly to physical, mental, spiritual, and social growth. Capitol Area Council offers amazing opportunities to experience the outdoors, with ownership of seven different camping properties that cover areas from Giddings to Gonzales to Bastrop to Liberty Hill. Scout units can use these facilities for hiking, camping and other activities.


Our council leadership has approved a limited reopening of our camps. For more information, please see this page.


You must name a Short-Term Camp Administrator (yes, this is new) before you can begin any planning. Please see this page for more information.


How does my unit use a council camp?

  1. Your unit can go on a camp out at one of our council camps, but first you must reserve one or more campsites with our council office. You must reserve camp sites using the links in the section below. If you need help, you may contact the front desk at (512) 617-8611 between 9am-5pm weekdays and someone will help walk you through the process.
  2. When you get to camp for your camp out, your unit leaders must check in with the Campmaster, Ranger, or the Administration Building.
  3. If you reserved a program area like a shooting sports range or equipment like canoes, you will access that equipment or area with help from the Ranger.
  4. Not every property has a Ranger or Campmaster. In those cases, you will receive an email with instructions for entry into the camp when you make your reservation.

NOTE: Capitol Area Council units do not have to pay a fee to use Capitol Area Council camping property for regular weekend camping or day events, except for Smilin V Scout Ranch and Rathgeber Wilderness Scout Camp which both require a $2.50 fee per camper (youth or adult). Out of Council units have to pay $5 per camper (youth or adult) for all council properties.

Have a question about camp or program area reservations?

  • Este campo es un campo de validación y debe quedar sin cambios.

Reserve a Campsite or Program Area

Lost Pines Scout Reservation

Nearly 400 acres, on the northern shores of Lake Bastrop and home to the tallest climbing tower in Texas – DOK’s Tower

Camp Tom Wooten - Cub Scouts

150 acres with access to shores of Lake Bastrop. Weekend camping for Cub Scout Packs only.

Griffith League Scout Ranch

Nearly 5,000 acres and one of the few remaining intact land grants from the Republic of Texas

Camp Alma McHenry

250 acres of pastureland, oak trees and several private stocked fishing ponds

Camp Green Dickson

Near Historic Gonzales, Texas (between Gonzales and Shiner)

Roy D. Rivers Wilderness Scout Camp

Nearly 400 acres of heavily forested, rugged terrain

Smilin V Scout Ranch

91 acres of improved Hill Country ranch land featuring 8 campsites


For use only by Scouts BSA Troops, Venturing Crews

Sam Houston Area Council Camps

In partnership with the council headquartered in Houston, here are additional Scout-owned camping properties you may consider for your unit's use.



Campmasters are volunteers trained and registered in Scouting who serve at council weekend camps whenever Scouting groups are using any part of camp property. Campmasters select their own time and frequency of service, but they usually serve two to four times a year. Campmasters generally meet twice a year to evaluate their program, schedule ahead, and arrange for the training of any new members. You can learn more about the Campmaster Corps and how to volunteer by visiting its website.