- Activities Calendar
- Cub Scout Activities
- Scouts BSA Activities
- Venturing Activities
- Summer Camp
- Winter Camp
- Short-Term Camp
- Climbing and C.O.P.E.
- Conservation Awards
- Conservation Days
- Eagle Reception
- High Adventure
- National Jamboree
- Order of the Arrow
- Refund Policy
- Report to State
- Scout Offers
- Service Opportunities
- Service Requests
- Shooting Sports
- STEM Activities
- District Events
- Work at Lost Pines
- other councils
- Youth Safety
- Awards & Recognition
- covid policy
- Den Meetings
- diversity equity inclusion
- Eagle Scouts
- Eagle Reception
- Financial Help
- Flag retirement
- For educators
- FOS campaign tools
- Certificate of Insurance
- Promoting Scouting
- Tools for Council Registered Units
- religious emblems
- Religious Events
- Scout of the Week
- short term camp
- special needs
- Unit Finance
- volunteer help
- Adventure Bus
- Web Update
- About CAC
What is a Short-Term Camp?
A Short-Term Camp (STC) is a council- or district organized event with overnight camping of one, two, or three nights (camping more than three nights is a Long-Term Camp). This includes events such as Camporee, Webelos Woods, OA Assembly, MEGA Training, IOLS and BALOO Training, Wood Badge, NYLT, etc.
NOTE: This process does not affect den, patrol, or unit-based overnight camping or any day-only events.
What are the requirements for a Short-Term Camp Administrator?
Each STC is required to have a Short-Term Camp Administrator (STCA). The STCA is responsible for ensuring that the planned event complies with the National Camp Accreditation Program (NCAP) Short-term Camp Standards. This includes:
- Submitting the NCAP Local Council Authorization and Assessment Declaration Form for the event to the STC Committee for Council approval
- Meeting with the STC Committee Liaison to review the current BSA National Camp Standards before the event to ensure that paperwork is filed and any written BSA approvals are completed and obtained through the council
- Walking the property to ensure that it is appropriate for the event
- Confirm facilities and program are safe and in good order before starting operation
- Confirms that appropriate health, safety, and sanitation provisions are made.
- This individual also ensures that all activities at the event complies with the applicable BSA National Camp Standards and the Guide to Safe Scouting.
What does the Short-Term Camp Committee do?
Our council has established a committee to help you implement the NCAP STC Standards. This committee are liaisons to help navigate the process and assist with record keeping. In addition, they provide training opportunities to help you learn and comply with this program.
Short-Term Camp Administrator Requirements
Pre-Qualifications: The Short-Term Camp Administrator must be a registered Scouter who:
- Is at least 21 years of age.
- Possesses a valid certificate of training from NCS-trained Resident Camp Director or Short-Term Camp Administration certification. The Short-Term Camp Administrator Certification is valid for 2 years from the course date.
- Council Run Short-Term Camp Classes –see the Council calendar for the upcoming dates.
- National Short-Term Camp Classes:
- National Online First Time Certification Classes (8.5 hours) can be found here
- National Online Recertification Certification Classes (4.5 hours) can be found here
- The Short-Term Camp Administrator must be present at a Short-Term Camp during setup and opening but does not need to live on-site. The Short-Term Camp Administrator must complete the NCAP Local Council Authorization and Assessment Declaration form.
- The Short-Term Camp Administrator should not be the event coordinator and cannot be a Council employee.
Resources for Short-Term Camp Administrators
- NCAP Local Council Authorization and Assessment Declaration Form
- NCAP Site Appraisal Form (complete if not a BSA Property)
- 2023 NCAP standards
- Guide to Safe Scouting
- Age- Appropriate Guidelines
- National Short-Term Camp Page
Resources for Health Officer Materials:
NCAP Council Contacts:
- NCAP Staff Advisor: Ron Settele
- NCAP Chair: Staci Kilpatrick
- Short-Term Camp Committee Chair: Staci Kilpatrick
Have a question about Short-Term Camps?